View Single Post
Old 9 August 2018, 09:35 PM   #28
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

I've been reading the requirements of both seals. Interesting that the Patek requirements, though overall broader and more strinngent, are more vague when comes to polishing bridges--edges must be chamfered and polished. However, the Geneva requirements specify that all signs of machine tooling must be removed. If I'm reading this distinction correctly, it might allow for the more poorly finished chamfers/bevels shown above.

That said, it's just armchair speculation.

Moreover, these are industrially made goods. Not only is the distinction between hand vs. machine finishing blurred, but perhaps not relevant. What should matter is the outcome. I see nothing wrong with first using a motorized wheel to bevel an edge before polishing by "hand" to provide the final detailing. However, I do agree some of the above photos show that this final detailing stage is being skipped or handled poorly in some instances.

On Credor / GS "value" vs. Patek . . . well, keep in mind finishing quality is only one aspect of what makes for a fine watch. In my opinion, at a certain level, the finer differences in finishing quality between two makes really shouldn't be a deciding factor.
mafoofan is offline   Reply With Quote