View Single Post
Old 9 September 2018, 09:40 PM   #219
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Absolutely.

Rolex is not my favorite brand. I came from a family and extended family that have been Omega fans for half a century. That doesn't mean that I don't love some of their models. The Sub will always be an icon that every watch lover should have at some point.

They may not see it this way, but Rolex is a victim of their own success. When you are as popular as they are, people are willing to buy their watches simply because of that brand power. As with any popular mass produced item.

Living in NYC, you see a Sub somewhat regularly. It's the default luxury watch that everyone buys when they have the means. I don't know if it's a person that actually cares about watches or someone that just wears it as a status symbol. Like you said, when I see someone wearing an Omega, a JLC, or any other brand that is less well known, I'm more likely to assume that they care about watches. They may not, but they bought a different watch when they could most likely afford a Rolex.

There are many true watch lovers on this forum, but there are also plenty of people that dismiss all other brands. When you see someone doing that, it's clear they care more about the name on their wrist than what's inside.

There was a thread a few days ago by someone who had what seemed like a scratch on their datejust dial. Most people agreed that it should be replaced because it didn't seem normal, but it didn't take long for a comment like this to show up:

When I see comments like this, the thought always crosses my mind, "typical Rolex owner". Obviously that's not true of everyone who wears a Rolex, but we see these attitudes almost every day on this forum. A person is seeing a Rolex that has some kind issue and they immediately bring other brands into a situation that has nothing to do with them.
Well said

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote