View Single Post
Old 9 October 2018, 09:14 AM   #41
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
You're right in that it's essentially like cash but from my understanding on how some of these scams work is that the first account is real account held by a real person who isn't necessarily in on the scam. As soon as it lands, that 1st person is suppose to forward it to another account (keeping a few dollars for their "work") which is usually a foreign account. The time urgency is that if you can catch the transfers in the process before it leaves the domestic account, you can possibly recall the wire. Even if it lands in a foreign bank, if the scammer doesn't quickly withdraw it (or transfer it once again to yet another account), you could possibly get it back even then.

You know those "work from home" ads you see on telephone poles (back in days), the internet, etc? Some of those are designed to pull in people who are essentially blind "money mules" for these scammers. The people who sign up for this usually aren't told anything other than "You're going to get wires from random people. You keep XX% and then wire the rest to this account." Usually under the guise of helping some legitimate business venture where they're limited by some "minor" bank restriction...tons of different stories and variations.
I hate it when I don't see bald-faced tactics for what they are. It seems pretty obvious now that the switcheroo on the shipping is designed to keep OP waiting long enough for the scammer to get the funds out of the account so they can't be recalled. In retrospect, the second OP saw that he wasn't getting the shipping as promised, he should have immediately gone to his bank to recall the wire. I totally fell for it, but then...I guess that's why I only deal with established sellers. I don't trust myself to see the tells far enough in advance.

Again, sorry OP. I hope this works out for you.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote