View Single Post
Old 10 October 2018, 04:44 PM   #135
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
A few things I almost always do but it depends on the circumstance:

1) Unless its someone with a significant number of posts and references and a trusted seller, I will engage in a call. Verify name and identity. I try to understand where they work, are they on linkedin or social media. Usually if its a $20k watch the person is relatively well off and they are at least at middle management at a company.

2) Try to get a copy of driver's license and link it to their wire information.

3) Do not go through emails or texts only. Check their number and make sure you ask where they live and confirm. There is ALWAYS a chance their account got hacked.

4) If there is any hesitation or your gut instinct tells you something is wrong, back out immediately.

5) If price is below market, ask more probing questions.

6) Ask for photos of the watch with a specific time (not 10 past 10 obviously).

7) Ask for watch history and how they became in possession of the watch.

8) Ask for details about their "insured shipping" and how they plan to pack the watch. If you know about parcel pro etc. you know that double boxing is standard etc.

Just some of my thoughts...
+1

- send a message to their Linkedin and eBay account to make sure their account is legit.
- search their email, phone numbers, name, address, bank information, etc.
- for wiring, do it Monday/Tuesday (takes 1 day for clearance)
- make sure seller ship by Thursday OVERNIGHT 1 day service (no exception) in order to receive it by Friday. Make sure the package doesn't sit in a warehouse or truck during the weekend. Even AD is aware of this process.
- if seller can't agree to the terms when dealing with high value money, then no deal.
- avoid seller with no references or newbies or flippers. They have no knowledge in shipping or experience.

- for 20K watch, I would fly out there and get it authenticated by a professional...no exception. Then again, I would just buy it locally from a local with reputation. There are plenty of Rolex watches out there....
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote