View Single Post
Old 26 December 2018, 09:14 AM   #109
ct79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post
It makes absolute sense. Nowadays when they develop an in house movement, they try to develop a family of movements based upon a single workhorse movement's architecture.

AP didn't have a workhorse movement up until the 3120, which is amongst the best but it has a few problems:

1. The movement is thick, which makes building upon it more difficult. The movement is quite strong though so that's a counter point, but it makes building chronographs from it difficult unless you want 16mm royal oak chronos.

2. The movement only works at 3HZ, while most workhorse movements from competitors are 4hz. This makes ensuring accuracy of the movement a bit harder and you also get a less "smooth" chronograph if you build upon a 3hz movement.

This is a bit of speculation but I think it would be the next logical step. Its likely that the new movement will be a 4hz movement, the base movement will be designed for accommodating complications such as chrono, GMT and PC (which we see already from the leaks).

3120 will be used in the divers and other "tough" watches such as offshores or divers, while the new thinner movement will go to complications/dressier watches.
That is a very interesting point. I once contemplated buying a 15400 or 15450. Could take a look at the 15450 in person and noticed immediately the difference in the second hand movement compared to a watch which operates on 4Hz. I just think an automatic looks like an automatic as of 4Hz, as this is simply what you have become accustomed to.
In the end neither of the two sizes RO 37 or 41 mm would fit me, so I lost interest. A 39ish mm model would be perfect.
Not to bash but simply to state my preferences: In order to really convince myself rationally to pay the upcharge for a RO/AP three hand sports model compared to a SS Rolex professional model, even though the finishing of the visible movement partially legitimizes that amount already today, AP would have to offer me at least 100 m water resistance, as said, a 4Hz movement and a workable size. Some kind of bracelet/clasp on the fly length modification I have also grown accustomed too.

AP does not have to become Rolex in this respect. But I at least only fall for the "mistique" of AP and the RO up to a certain point. Then my brains kicks in again and runs through a checklist of things which I want to see covered before handing over some close to 18000 Euros for a watch.
So let's see what January brings.

Christian
ct79 is offline   Reply With Quote