View Single Post
Old 10 January 2019, 05:47 AM   #60
GrpCaptMandrake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
A couple disclaimers before I give my thoughts. I am a believer that the term tool watch is meant to mean a watch that was built to perform a specific function outside of regular timekeeping, and one that was “historically” used by people in certain lines of work or hobbies where these functions were needed.

All that said, I don’t think any of them are necessary anymore, but fun to talk about, collect, and use. Additionally, I have stated many times that Tudor is below Rolex in quality by design. It is intended to be an inferior brand, and a Tudor is not a Rolex. I am, however, an owner of a couple Tudor’s and feel they can stand on their own as fantastic watches that represent great value.

I am also a big believer that this out of control Rolex craziness that is going on right now is temporary, and it will soon return to normal. I also think there are many crazy prices on older pieces that will soon “correct”.

The more I pay attention to this craziness, the more I realize that Tudor has in many ways actually become the brand that caters to the “purist”. By purist, I am referring to collectors of tool watches. Titanium cases with HE valves, and bright lume on the bezels (Pelagos), while still making dive watches that are reminiscent of the features many miss about the old Rolex and Tudor watches like smaller cases, and chamfered lugs (Black Bay). Let’s also not forget the fantastic Heritage Chronographs.

While people anxiously await their turn to drop $10,000 on a new “Pepsi” with a plastic looking bezel, there is a 2 color GMT available now for a third of the price that is more reminiscent of the old watch, and it’s made by the same company!

This is not to start a debate about which is better, because I do think Rolex is superior. This is more of a thread to applaud Tudor and what they have been doing for the collectors out there. Not a lot of precious metals and gemstones...functional tool watches that are reminiscent of an era when people actually needed a watch!
Its a bit ironic that my first post on the Rolex forum is about a Tudor.

I'm a Rolex newbie and not particularly horologically savvy, but share much of the sentiment regarding Tudor expressed in Sublovin's post. So much so, that I've decided to provide my relatively newly acquired Explorer with a companion Tudor GMT. Alas, my poor Rolex will have to take solace from its Alpinist box-mate for some time, perhaps even the better part of 2019, thanks to the cursed wait list.

I'm on said list with my local AD, a list that at least in my area, seems limited to only the GMT. During the seemingly interminable wait, I will need to get my daily Tudor fix from photos of the GMT, so thank you Samson66.
GrpCaptMandrake is offline   Reply With Quote