View Single Post
Old 22 January 2019, 07:28 AM   #65
jjcthe1
"TRF" Member

Trolling? Easy now... that is not cool, if I have insulted you, I do apologize.... My point is that there is no doubt the AD relationship is overrated. It may work for you, but it certainly does not for me or the OP, along with many other users.

As for the "market", I definitely dont know the rolex market nearly as well as others on here, but there are 15+ NEW stainless steel Daytonas on eBay right now, you can buy and have tomorrow. Sure do you have to pay 23k vs the 12k on the hang tag, but there is no wait, no AD to beg and the reality is, the watch is still worth 23k, you arent over paying for it because that is FMV of today....

The Daytona is also an extreme example. If you walk into an AD and ask for a new Deep Sea JC, the AD will laugh at you as if you asked for their first born. (This is my most recent experience trying to buy from an AD).

The reality is the market is plentiful and new ones can be had for maybe 10-15% over the hang tag and I had a new one within 4 days.

These are not investments, if you want it, its out there to be had immediately.

When my car breaks, I want it fixed as quickly as reasonably possible, be given a loaner, or if i get stuck somewhere, I would expect immediate support, etc.

Do you have that experience at your AD with a watch? No one does. In fact you probably wont see it for months and that for some reason has become an industry standard thats just accepted. No relationship can quicken that process.

Anyway I dont want to argue, I am just sharing my experiences. Hope you didnt take any of this the wrong way. I agree car salesman can be worse, maybe I am spoiled with the car relationship and you are spoiled with the AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I honestly can’t tell if you are trolling, or just completely clueless. Unless you pay 100% markup in the grey market, you can’t get a SS Daytona “within 36 hours”. Honestly, not to be overly insulting, but you seem to know nothing about the current climate of the watch market.

The comment about NYC was to point out the drastic demand vs supply issue in a city with a large population with expendable income. Tampa, and by extension your personal experience, isn’t representative of how hard it is to obtain in demand watches in a place like NYC, London or HK.

Regarding your car comment. I don’t want this to seem like I’m trashing the car scene, because cars, car meets and track days are a passion of mine. But you don’t need a great car dealership relationship any more than one needs one with a watch AD (probably less so). I can go online and find a car’s MSRP, invoice pricing and countless threads on what people paid locally. There are far more dealerships than watch boutiques and ADs...meaning far more competition and likelyhood of negotiation for a great deal on a car. From my experienc, watch salesmen are far more personable and less likely to try and sell snake-oil than a car salesman is. Watch boutiques also have gatherings, charity events and launch parties where you can meet great local people. Lastly...watches need regular service too guy. So, just make sure that online watch purchase still has a warranty.

Rant over for now...
jjcthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote