View Single Post
Old 19 February 2019, 04:08 PM   #16
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Last week, I saw a private listing of a 5740 in my area on the same day it was sold by the AD (a photo of the dated Certificate was attached in the listing) at 100% mark up.

I made a call to the Patek area agent, and within an hour, that listing was withdrawn by the seller. The name of the AD and the location of the store were also printed in the certificate (ie Patek is aware which AD sold this watch and to which customer).

I assume there will be ramifications after this incident even though there was no sales yet..
Curious, I called the GM of this AD group earlier to ask him about this incident (I do have a relationship with this AD group). His reply was "A family member of the buyer has put up a WTS of his 5740 without his knowledge and approval. We have added said family member to our blacklist for future popular models."

To me, his answer was pure hogwash and it does not make much sense. There are several pictures of the watch, box and Cert in the WTS, and interested buyers can arrange to view the watch at any time. Indicated price was also negotiable. That WTS post appears to be from the owner of the watch.

This is a clear case of "capitalism wins" and this AD can continue to sell to his biggest whale, albeit with a sacrificial lamb in the form of a family member. I'm not sure if Patek buys his story though.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote