View Single Post
Old 28 March 2019, 07:02 AM   #61
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
TBH it seems like a workaround to OF sizing to me vs a practical usefulness. Easy link should be fine, but since its OF, this is easier than getting the correct length strap pieces right?

I would bet the number of people who can buy and wear the watch as its delivered is much higher now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Just posted similar Tyler. Agreed. It’s more an OF workaround
Given that this new clasp is limited solely to OF, and the Oyster bracelets on the new GMTs retain the Easylink, I'd say there's a good chance you're right. I think that's too bad, since it's clear a fair number of people with non-diver watches on Oyster bracelets have a use for the tailored adjustment offered by the Glidelock. I don't see how incorporating it would be a disadvantage for those who don't need it, since the size issue has been rendered moot. If Rolex were to incorporate the shortened Glidelock as a standard feature on all their watches with Oyster clasps (except diver models, which would retain the longer clasp), I think that would be a selling point of the brand. Unfortunately, I suspect you're right that this latest option is designed to be a workaround for having to supply so many sizes of OF straps, rather than optimizing the fit of all of their watches for their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I wouldn't take this as a shift to offering a dive extension system to non dive watches. This is an OF extension system
That's just it: by making the clasp shorter, Rolex is making it a general-use adjustment system, rather than a dive extension per se, since the shorter length precludes its use as a diving extension. IWC has been offering this on their pilot watches for years, and Omega has gotten in the game as well, by fashioning a shorter adjustable clasp for the Speedmaster. It's what a lot of Rolex owners have been hoping for, as well, and it would be too bad if Rolex's sole motivation for developing this latest clasp were to ease their supply burden with the OF.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote