View Single Post
Old 22 July 2006, 03:22 AM   #1
Atomic

Why I love my Panerai

Just a ramble so bear with me.

First off, the history is amazing. Having read the book outlining the history of the brand I have to say the history behind Panerai is impressive. It's the ultimate tool watch and probably the first true dive watch designed for use by scuba divers.

Basically Italian navy frogmen would ride a torpedo-like submersible (on top, like riding a horse), go under (or cut through) anti-torpedo netting until they pull under an enemy ship. They'd then get off the 'pig' as they were called, and get an explosive device from inside the storage compartment of the pig, attach it to the hull of the enemy ship and ride away, with the device exploding once they're in relative safety. There's plenty more.

The look of the watch is big and bold, and yet it doesn't seem to wear big (IMHO). The design is contemporary, but as historic as you can get. The Radiomirs are based on the original 1937 design and the Luminors were first designed in the early 1940s. Very little, design wise has taken place since.

Options: It's not like a watch on a bracelet where when you get it, you wear it as is and that's it. Nope, you generally get two straps with a Luminor, the rubber dive strap and a leather one. But beyond that, there's a myriad of OEM and aftermarket straps you can buy and swap in about 60 seconds. You also have choices of generally three types of buckles (thumbnail, pre-V and GPF) and in four metal choices (SS polished, SS brushed, titanium or PVD). So the options are really endless and can change the look and feel of the watch so it seems brand new and different.

The passion and friendship among Paneristi is unlike no other brand I know about. These guys will offer you stuff for free, share stuff they recieve multiples of and generally help you out. One of the original Panerai wearers, an Omega Swimmer from the Italian navy didn't have a Panerai at all (not sure of the circumstances) but Paneristi organized and raised funds to buy this old hero a BNIB Radiomir and presented it to him along with a plaque. What a gesture.

If you're on the fence about getting one, or if you've never had one on your wrist, do youself and favour and give it a go. They're basically love it or hate it kind of watch but I know of quite a few who hated them until they either saw one in person or tried one on. They then changed their tunes.