View Single Post
Old 30 May 2019, 04:38 AM   #32
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
this is about sums it up...good post...
never understood why Panerai don't have a basic lineup with all the DNA...then add the rest bells and whistles...
I have only kept the 190 from my panerai days...
It just makes no sense... They will offer something perfect like the 372. It's a top seller, then there's nothing like this in the rest of catalog for the remainder of the cases. I can completely understand that they don't want to make the same thing in every size and case, but I think they could easily come up with a work around. Taking the Luminor 1950 cases as an example, we have the 372. Perfect. Now offer a more modern Luminor 1950 at 44mm but make it hand wound, get rid of the date, use the modern (non-gold hands), get rid of the faux patina. Now you have a Luminor 1950 that looks closely like the original and a more modest sized modern version that's still different enough to command its own audience. Keep the 322 as it is a fan favorite. We don't really need the exact same thing with a 10 day power reserve (even though it is a great watch for all the reasons we like the 322). We don't need one with the GMT but no power reserve. It's just redundant.

A few years back they offered the PAM 448 and 449. Both great historical references. But then they offered the same thing with an OP logo on the California dial and the pig on the SLC dial as regular production models. Why? There was no need. The 448 and 449 should have just been regular production. Offer what is now the 720 as a regular production model (all at 47mm) and then offer the modern sandwich "Black Seal" models with sandwich dials at 45mm (like they used to). That should be the bulk of the Radiomir line. Throw in a few others with some complications at the higher end price point. End of story.

The regular Luminor line... They should all be 44mm. Painted dials with logos like the 000, 005. Sandwich dials with 3 day movements like the 111, 112. Make a couple white dial variations. Get rid of all the different OP logo variations. Get rid of faux patina. This is a "modern" line. Offer 1, maybe 2 titanium variations for fun. Offer one automatic reference with a date. Offer a DLC version. End of work.

I just fixed three case lines.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote