View Single Post
Old 11 June 2019, 12:49 PM   #36
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Not everyone is going to like every watch and that's the way it should be but I always scratch my head when someone talks about how cheap modern Omegas and/or the Speedmaster feel in comparison to modern Rolexes because the current production watches from both brands are basically of very similar quality. There are certain things that Rolex does a little better with today than Omega and certain things that Omega does a little better with than Rolex today but both brands are pretty comparable in terms of quality. As for cheap feeling watches, one only has to go back a bit to the five digit Rolexes to experience some truly cheap bracelets and clasps that Omega's bracelets and clasps put to shame at the time. Those embarrassing bracelets and clasps were the major reason I never opted for a five digit Rolex and the six digits are like night and day in terms of quality, although I wish the lugs on the Submariners and GMTs were thinner.

Yes, the Speedmaster is not waterproof and it is manual wind and does not have screw down pushers but don't get it wet, take pleasure in winding it by hand, and you'll be fine.

I will say that I personally prefer the sapphire sandwich due to the practicality, the upgraded movement, and the added weight but in no way does the classic Speedmaster feel cheap. Other than not being waterproof, which I admit is a big deal for some, the classic Speedmaster is among the most versatile watches and certainly chronographs made and is probably the best value (at street prices) in luxury watches today. The current Daytona could learn something about legibility from the old Speedmaster.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote