Thread: Group Shot
View Single Post
Old 30 July 2006, 04:43 AM   #14
mamas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnugg View Post
Very nice...what can you tell me about your watch that looks like the one below. I'm having mine restored.

Nice piece! this is a first generation semaster calendar, the first watch that omega offered with a date function. The 2nd generation semaster calendar can be seen in top row on right (the one in ss, next to gold seamaster day / date) where they moved the date function to 3pm.
Yours is a particularly early 1st generation calendar as the lugs are bull horn lugs.. ie they are shaped like a horn nad they are not straight like on my second generation semaster. The first generation seamaster calendar had bull horn lugs initially but later exmaples had straight lugs (compare the lugs between the ss piece and gold piece in the photos below). It is likely your calibre is a 353 calibre reflcting the age.. rather than a 355 which would be found on later semaster calendars with straight lugs.

If you do have it restored, DO NOT allow them to repaint the dial.. only reclean, as it is in good condition, and a repaint will destroy any collectors value inherent in the watch. I would replace the crown, as this is wrong for the watch (see my crown) and the hands are also wrong (again see my watch).. they have been changed at some stage and are non original.. so get them changed.. crowns are easy to come by.. hands i am not sure how easy they are. Congratulations on a beautiful piece! here are my semaster calendars.. (sold the ss 1st generation one though)
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote