View Single Post
Old 3 August 2019, 02:04 PM   #51
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I suppose it all depends on how your watch collecting journey evolved... if you started collecting watches after achieving a great deal of financial freedom, and just wanted to "fit in with the cool kids" sporting PP/AP/Rolex, then I can understand the lack of interest in Seiko.

For those of us who have always loved watches, and always bought he best watch we could afford, Our journey would almost invariably have taken us through Seiko..

As the ability to spend more evolved, we may have gotten into other brands...

At least for myself, going from broke watch loving student, to broke watch loving med student, to semi-broke watch loving resident, to barely out of debt fresh Doc, to well established veteran physician, my collection started with Seiko 5, and hand-me-down Seikos, but can now boast PP, AP, VC, UN, Breguet, multiple Rolex/Omega etc etc...

Along that journey, if rooted in an unwavering love of watches, we learn about the history of each brand that we would consider buying, and the contributions of each brand to the world of Horology.

The challenging part is being brutally honest with yourself, when you have to admit that a seiko Turtle feels a hell of a lot like an Omega Seamaster on the wrist...

I respect Seiko more than any other brand for the pride they take, even in making the entry level brands... it lets me know that the Pride I felt in wearing it, and the Pride my Grandfather felt in receiving a Seiko for his 25 yr Return of Service watch, was well intended.

Although now that I can indulge in almost any brand, I still find myself drawn to their watchmaking philosophy... and with the Grand Seiko, I can honestly say that the details and finishing, and "wrist feel" is on par, or surpasses the "Trilogy"..

How can you not love a brand that is obsessively passionate about being the best in the business, and offering the best quality of product at the most fair price possible to the end-user??

If you love watches, it shouldn't be a mystery... if you love "flexing" then it becomes the worlds greatest enigma as to Why anyone who could flex a PP would choose to wear a $500 Seiko...
Thank you for that, it was quite insightful hearing this. Which Grand Seikos are in your collection?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote