View Single Post
Old 5 August 2019, 05:07 PM   #8
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
hi guys , I am really interested in buying my first AP 15500st ,the only problem is that ive been looking at review videos on youtube and today I saw that archie luxury was telling everyone to stay away from the AP watches because of the extremely expensive service costs and that basically the watch is very problematic , can you guys advise if it is a problematic watch or is it a watch that would last me years of trouble free use.
Archie is fun and entertaining, but i would take his advice with a grain of salt. He bought a used Royal Oak, I believe a 14970ST black dial without service.

Then when he did the service he had to pay 2k austrailian, no idea what it is in US but should be 1.2-1.5k US. This is an ok service cost on a 15+ year old watch. You pay about the same for rolex.

Basically he bought the watch used without service history and the previous owner pushed to service cost onto him. He took a gamble on the service history and it didn't pay off.

When buying used i always factor in 1.5k for movement service for watches less than 25 years old. AP has pretty much a fixed service price of 1.5k for all watches made in the last 25 years. Watches above 25 years are vintage and you have to get a separate quote and prices there can vary quite a bit.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote