Thread: Market at a top
View Single Post
Old 7 August 2019, 08:07 AM   #34
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I thought about it and if a “hot watch” is what makes you feel good about yourself especially after paying four times retail maybe you should see a therapist.
I could say the same about anyone stupid enough to think that ANY modern Rolex or luxury watch at retail is good value for money. Hands up, who honestly feels that a time only OP is great value at £4,100 when a Seiko 5 day date automatic is £130, or a steel Daytona is really worth a 3x premium over a Speedmaster. What sane person on here feels that a platinum Daytona at retail is worth 2x premium over the gold version when platinum is only 35% heavier than gold and 18k gold has a similar scrap (spot) price. It’s not finished or machined better and has the same movement and bezel.

What about the fantastic value of the 5167r and 5164r only a £13,000 premium for the same movement and finishing as the steel versions. It’s a bargain because it is a different colour and has a few hundred £ of gold that’s easier to work and finish.

You can fool me and each other but you can’t fool yourself, everyone buying luxury watches including US on this forum buy Rolex or Patek for the same reason. We are all being flash and extravagant because we can, and we have the means. It’s nothing to do with quality, design or workmanship it’s to show off, its just no one on here wants to admit it especially me.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote