View Single Post
Old 11 August 2019, 12:06 AM   #8
aasubo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’m not aware of a change in the 5035 OQ movement between the ‘70’s and ‘80’s - but there was a process change and dial change.

The original 5035 movement in the 17000’s were not sent to COSC. So it was “uncertified” but really no different than the latter 5035’s made in the ‘80's when it was sent to COSC to be certified for the remaining years.

Due to an un-certified movement, the first dials only have the three lines. The later certified movements had Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified added. That is one way to discern an ‘80’s 5035 movement was installed.

Of course, like Adam said, parts got moved around in error (and for other reasons, too) so you’d need to be looking for a documented 17000 if you want the best collectible.

Lastly, the bracelets can be a “tell” on whether you’re looking at a frankened original. The OQ bracelets shared the same ref. # as the watch, 17000. After the first run of 17000’s, Rolex updated the bracelet ref. # to 17000B.

Some people have noted that the early bracelets had pins instead of link screws. (I can’t say why Rolex went backwards on the bracelets because the earlier mechanical movement DJ had link screws.).

But there are also 17000B bracelets found with pins. Odd but has been reported on OQ collector websites. Not making your job easier, huh?

Good luck on your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wow, I knew about the update of the 5035 movement with the oscillator having A fork shape and the Dial change hereinafter, but was not aware about the bracelet, so thanks for the info.

Indeed, it seems I will have some hunting to do, to find that kind of timepiece for my collection.

Thanks again
Torsten

P.s. if you someone with a NOS 17000 blue Dial, let me know with PM
aasubo is offline   Reply With Quote