View Single Post
Old 14 August 2019, 05:44 AM   #14
Paul
"TRF" Member

Mary Mary here ...

I like everything about the 116610LN (especially) but would also admit to an unhealthy yearning for most of the current range of Rolex Sub and GMT options.

I know the larger case, ceramic references have been around for a few years now but it just seems to me to be natural progression, with Rolex being as clever as ever to keep their product lines relevent and desirable .

Larger cases, more distinct crown guards, those beefy lugs and the ceramic bezel / insert. Just lovely. Significantly too, after a long run where the 5-digit models were just subtly tweaked over time (much less so than we saw in the 4-digit era) , tweaks so subtle in fact that it was really only the WIS folks who could determine if your Sub or GMT was two years old ... or ten years old. Then, the 6-digit ceramic references arrived and were suddenly very different. Overnight , it became patently obvious that you were rocking a new Sub on your wrist ... or your watch was one of those funky old ones, you remember them ... a bit aesthetically dated ... dinky little case and that cheap looking alloy insert ... not a 'vintage-cool' Rolex, ... just you know ... 'old' Someone who owned a 5-digit watch ... but who secretly wished they had a 4-digit watch, quietly added the term 'classic' to the Rolex vernacular and that's helped 5-digit watch owners feel a bit better ( ever wondered why we see so many threads starting with "How old does a Rolex have to be to be vintage? ").

IMHO Rolex does what they do very well. Unlike suits and shoes, the Rolex buyer is never gonna upgrade each season so restricting the styling changes to (almost) nothing for a few years at a time lets buyers enjoy their (criminally overpriced) Rolex for a while ... before a dramatic change encourages (bullies ?) the faithful into an upgrade and keeps the newbies coming in the door.

If I was starting out again, I'd opt for a 5513 or 1675, jump right over the 5 digit references and drop the rest of my money on a 116610LN. That said, I loved my 16600 SeaDweller (recently sold) but for me the 5-digit references are a bit 'Been there ... done that'
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote