View Single Post
Old 17 September 2019, 04:55 AM   #20
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

I’m no expert, but as said above, it seems your paperwork “supports” but does not “prove” the Tiffany dial. All it proves is that it had a brown dial by 1989.

I think it’s pretty good support though, as I don’t believe Tiffany-specific dials for these were commonly being faked before 1989. The other possibilities seem much less likely.

Have you checked to see if Tiffany can get you a copy of the original sale receipt from their archives? I assume the reason that Tiffany receipts are accepted as “proof” of a Tiffany dial’s originality is that back then, Tiffany marked ALL of their Rolex dials? Otherwise, given that the sale receipt would not usually indicate how the dial was marked when new, even a Tiffany receipt wouldn’t “prove” anything about the dial.

One more thing - It might be a good idea for you to sign and notarize an affidavit to keep with the paperwork you have. The affidavit would state some facts upon your “information and belief” (that your father John Doe purchased the watch new at Tiffany located at X address, around a certain date), and others to your “personal knowledge” (that it had a brown, or even brown Tiffany-marked, dial from new or by X date [whatever you recall], that you had the ‘89 and ‘95 services done and what they did, etc.).