View Single Post
Old 30 January 2018, 02:54 AM   #305
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
The problem with altered watches are that they eventually pass through a trusted source. Bit naive to think a watch is fine just because it passes through ie Jacek. That said I do not think ”patinating” lume is common. Big risk to destroy a perfect dial just to make it stand out a bit. I doubt it is such a business that some people thinks.

Here’s a 5513 I wish I kept..

Not Naïve at all Roh, if you were implying my advise was..?

there are reasons one would patinate lume, to cover stains to the plots, or to get hands to match better.. Yes there are silly risks involved but it's being done. One HK dealer comes to mind that still does this practice.. But aside from the lume; when it comes to trusted dealers, there is trust.

Dealers can make mistakes and often do. Especially when it comes to a watch they are selling, so it's more personal to the collector buying because he/she plans on keeping the piece, so the collector will look at the said piece with more scrutiny. There they may catch something the dealer didn't.

As stated above; you need to have the watch in hand to determine many of the times..
You cannot always tell from pictures because sellers will always photograph the watches in the best light possible.

I have dealt with Jacek personally, and one time I received a piece that I wasn't completely satisfied with and he took it back no questions asked and provided a full refund.

So in regards to my original advise, I stand by it.

Now if the OP's question was toward a different seller that wasn't well known, my advise would be different.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote