Thread: Pricing rumour
View Single Post
Old 11 February 2015, 09:05 AM   #150
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombardior View Post
i would guess that to be no longer the case (which is probably what PP wanted) provided the reduced prices come from the MSRP side and not the dealer invoice cost side...
There was zero change to dealer margins fyi and T. Stern in his letter stated he wanted to maintain dealer margins. Also he said it was either do this or only increase prices by 14% in Europe which he felt would kill sales there. His main goal was to equalize pricing more and control grey market. I have read the 3 page letter and his rationale all in there. Short term will be much hype and noise but my guess is over time it will die down and quickly at that. Best advice is as always buy the right watches and at right prices. There are a lot of dogs out there that fare poorly with collectors like it or not. Clearly new watches that have replaced certain old watches have not been a success and they have been going out back door to grey dealers for close if not at AD cost. This has killed secondary market for those references i.e. 5270 and 5170. So be smart about what you buy and what you pay. In the end life goes on and these are watches and meant to enjoy and wear not replace your investments.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote