HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
Peerhaps they have
One bottle for 32xx
One for 31xx
One for 22xx and so on.
I asked about this earlier and Bas indicated the same lubes were used for multiple families of movements. It would be "nice and clean" in terms of our theories if the 32xx had one set of lubes, distinct from all other movement families, and the 32xx alone was suffering these issues. But if the same lube is used on a 3235 and 3135, and yet only migrates on the 3235, then that would point to something more involved. Perhaps an interplay between the lubes and the surface finish. I won't pretend to understand the nuances of surface finish, surface tension, viscosity, etc. but it seems possible that newer generation internal parts could be produced on newer machines, or with newer programming, producing slight variations beyond the obvious specs of diameter, thickness, etc.

As long as we are throwing out random thoughts, how about this? I would argue the main driver of changes in the 32xx family is longer power reserve. We know about the mainspring difference. We know about the escapement difference. But perhaps all contact surfaces were finished to a higher degree to reduce drag and add to efficiency. However, perhaps these smoother finishes (again, this is all guessing) are now allowing oil to move around from area to area without the "containment" which a rougher surface would provide.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote