View Single Post
Old 25 January 2011, 02:29 AM   #110
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkw View Post
If it were a replica, the NYPD wouldve destroyed it.
The NYPD are hardly experts on vintage sport Rolex. There are replicas that can (and have) fooled seasoned experts, let alone a cop manning the property desk.

That said, it seems awfully odd that someone would have snatched ANY Rolex for $350 at any sort of public auction. If the auction room had more than 10 people in it, SOMEONE would have upped the bid. Rolex has been synonymous with expensive for decades. It's a household name. The idea of a room full of people completely uninterested in an expensive brand name watch is a bit hard to swallow.

I also find it strange that the OP seems to know so little about Rolex ("How do I take the back off?"), but in another post states "The caseback looks original." How does one know that a case back looks original if they don't even know how it opens? This seems highly incongruous. Furthermore, the comment "Why can't I find any any watches on the internet that has the same red writing? Mine doesn't have the 2000 written on it." also raises a flag. If someone has seemingly little to no knowledge of vintage sport Rolex, how do they arrive at such an astute observation regarding a highly specific detail such as a missing 2000? If I showed my mother a vintage sub on a Monday, then showed her a double red SD a week later, she would likely assume it was the same watch I'd shown her the week prior. She *might* comment on the lack of cyclops, since most layman identify Rolex with the cyclops.

Another thing that bothers me about the whole thing is the crystal. The OP claims the original crystal was scratched and had it replaced. The jeweler just happened to have a crystal that fit in stock, but not the correct one...?

A Rolex that sells for $350 at a public auction. Ok, MAYBE.
A non collector who hones in on a super specific dial anomaly? Ok, MAYBE.
A jeweler who just happens to have an incorrect crystal that manages to fit a very specific vintage Rolex. Ok, MAYBE.

All 3 in one story? Hmm...