View Single Post
Old 12 August 2008, 07:15 PM   #2
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Dave,

I have removed fixed links on several oyster bracelets. Like you I have thin wrists, and in addition to this prefers a tight fit (If that was not the case I wouldn't have had a problem).

It is difficult to explain how to do it... but this is what I do:

1. Remove the bracelet from the watch.
2. Remove the clasp from the 6 o'clock side (this is the side you want to shorten).
3. Remove all removable links.
4. Now you have the last fixed link free to remove on a bracelet part that contains four fixed links, and the end part connecting to the watch.
5. Take two pairs of pliers/cutters, the sharper the better.
6. Press them where the outer parts meets the inner part of the oyster link you want to remove. Add pressure (really hard!).
7. Do NOT try to bend or pull on the outer parts. Just press down with the cutters in the gaps between the parts. If you press or bend or pull, the pins inside will grip even harder (that is how the operate - do not know the proper word for them).
8. Continue to apply pressure, and slowly the outer parts will start to move outwards. There should now be a growing gap, and the pins should be visible, and also start to loose their grip. Eventually one of the outer parts should "pop" off.
9. Remove the bits, and assemble the bracelet again. Make sure you have a good screw driver to avoid damaging the bracelet or the screws.

I do not know if this made sense... it is truly difficult to explain. It takes five to fifteen minutes for me. Be careful not to touch the links that are going to stay, and be aware that the removed link will be destroyed.

PM me if you want to discuss in detail. I'll see if I can find some photos of the result. I have no pictures of the procedure itself.

The new solid oyster bracelets are a true improvement, since the new clasp is possible to attach in a way that makes the 6 o'clock side shorter. I have an 114200 Air-king that offers me a perfect fit removing only removable links. Same thing with Daytona bracelet.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote