View Single Post
Old 16 October 2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Yeah cheap crap may have been a bit harsh, but I do see what they sell in mass quantities as cheapening their brand name even though the Grand Seiko line of watches are supposed to be some real excellent watches.

I actually chose the wording "most other luxury brands don't" just because of Swatch. But in this case by using the brand name of Swatch to sell them under instead of Omega or one of the other luxury brand names it does help to keep them separate. Most people might not even be aware of it in the first place. Instead where you have the same brand name which sells watches for under a couple hundred dollars as well as over a couple thousand dollars which can cheapen the Seikos brand.

It's just marketing, but then again all marketing is done for the purpose of creating a mental image of one's product. In the states I think there's very good reason Seikos has chosen to go for the HUGE mass market audience and for that reason for the most part they don't sell many Grand Seikos as great as they maybe in the states. They don't even try for the most part and I think they get that as well.

i hear you, dan, i really do. i just don't know what seiko could do, since GS has been around for something like 50 years.

i guess it's up to seiko to better communicate the differences. have a great day.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote