View Single Post
Old 9 August 2019, 04:30 AM   #6
Kjian414
"TRF" Member

1. It all comes down to your personal preference and if you plan on selling the watch in the future or not. box and papers definitely command a premium and help the watch sell when you decide to sell it. If you don’t plan on selling it in the future then it honestly is up to the individual some people must have the “full package” while most other people honestly don’t care as long as the watch is authentic. On the subject of parts of course it’s best to have all original Rolex Parts but often times with vintage Datejust many people go for an aftermarket crystal replacement which looks the same as an Original Rolex Crystal and costs under $50 where as a Rolex crystal can cost up to 300 fitted.

2. Pricing depends on who/where you buy it from. For example a watch shop has overhead (rent, utilities, wages, marketing etc) so they list the watches for a higher price. If you buy from eBay there are fees associated with that so the watches are priced to accommodate those fees. The cheapest option should be buying face to face from a private individual because there are no fees associated with the transaction. And as you mentioned the age of the watch matters. (Although this mostly applies when there is a big age difference. For example a 1995 example vs a 2002 model would have similar pricing where as a new model such as the 116233 (new model of 16233) from 2005 vs a 116233 from 2017 would have a quite noticeable difference in pricing.)

I have a 16233 that has been my daily wearer for the past few months but I’m looking to sell it for a stainless model. Let me know if you’re interested. Congratulations on the wedding and good luck on watch hunt!
Kjian414 is offline   Reply With Quote