View Single Post
Old 5 November 2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Zenith El Primero HW

I just received this watch a couple days ago and wanted to share some initial impressions with you.

I am relatively new to watch collecting (and what little I do know I learned from this site... so thanks to all who share their knowledge here). If I use some incorrect terminology in this review my apologies but I am coming at this as a fan and not an expert.

I am thoroughly thrilled with the watch.

You can see the beautiful El Primero movement through the clear case back. I find my self taking the watch off to admire the workmanship of the movement. One of the advantages of this not being an automatic (which is what the El Primero is famous for being) is that there is no rotor obstructing the view.

It keeps excellent time. The non-hacking is a bit of a pain (you can stop the second hand from moving by back pressure on the crown but I am not keen to do so). I used the chrono to check if it was gaining or losing time and found that after 6 hours it was still spot on. The click of the chrono is quite distinct and it zeros back perfectly. The date clicks over cleanly at midnight.

The design of the watch is one that I find very appealing. More so then the more recent Zeniths which are a bit over the top for me. I like the size. At just under 40 it is big enough to have some pop on my wrist without looking like it is oversize. The finish on the dial and the case is exceptional.

The band is comfortable with a butterfly deployment at the back.

Thanks to members of TRF who gave me some insights into this model a few months ago including David SW, LouS and HunterShooter. By the time I figured out I wanted it the one I was looking at had sold. 4 months later another one in near mint condition popped up on Watch Recon and I contacted drster (Mark Tannebaum) to buy it. He was great to work with.

If I manage to attach the pictures to this review the pictures are from Mark.

I think if you are looking for a less expensive way to get the El Primero movement, and don't mind doing the daily wind (I am talking to you Speedmaster Pro fans) then this watch is worth your consideration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith HW 1 IMG_1879.jpg (70.0 KB, 2362 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith HW 2 IMG_1881.jpg (68.3 KB, 2338 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith HW 3 IMG_1877.jpg (114.5 KB, 2336 views)
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote