View Single Post
Old 13 June 2021, 07:26 PM   #598
Becweb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Jennifer, great point.

What I find intriguing is that we have not found the ceiling yet on this piece. Us, Enthusiasts, get a feeling that everyone is aware of Journe. It is growing fast and the word is getting around quickly. That is true. More and more collectors are getting exposed to FPJ watches not to mention those collectors that are naturally outgrowing Patek, Rolex, AP etc as a natural progression. This is the part why I like this thread, it is not about just the cost/resale but the desire of the piece and what is making it desirable. Also, it was here that I was shock to realize that there might be less than 2000 made all these years (at this point)- much less perhaps. Heck, when I bought my AP Code1159 Purple (I knew, I know, be gentle with the jokes: I love the piece), the seller said they are “just”making 2000 of each color a year! I kept thinking, wow, that is so little. …And then you realize this about the CB.

It is hard not to fall into the hype especially when the CB is really just a fantastic piece, money aside. We all know the details: crazy metal Tantalum, beautiful movement in gold, and a chameleon that goes with ANY outfit! Plus, it keeps amazing time and so legible at 39mm.

Now the price, $24,900 is a steal knowing how hard it is to make. Real genuine value. At $110K, if I had a throwaway money, I’d probably pay it as I know I would not get it at any boutique, and if so, 12 year wait list. PPlleeease! Give me a break. Are there other watches that are amazing at that value or less? Of course. I have a 20 watch log list. But, it will not be the CB!

@Jennifer, curious. Why 2 CBs? Are they different somehow - slight difference in dial color? I hear that the hour hands could be creamier or whiter depending on the year but don’t really know.
At 24,900$, FPJ is still making a huge profit on the watch :D, don't be fooled :D.
As another member said, I would never spend 100k on a 5711, 15202 or CB EVER. A friend of mine owns a CB and finds it very delicate / not adequate for his lifestyle. He does own a Breitling, Rolex and some other watches for daily purposes but the CB, in a small collection, can't really be used as a "sporty" watch or an actual dress watch.
IMHO this watch has no identity, or an identity crisis.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote