View Single Post
Old 29 November 2022, 11:48 AM   #3242
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Burnishing is more of a surface treatment. If done properly it should reshape the surface, not remove it. You can burnish anything from leather to wood to metal. It's different from a process which removes material via abrasives.

What's the point? Having parts that last much longer. I thought Searchart gave a pretty compelling account of how much longer life you get out of properly burnished parts. It seems like a potential mod would be to have a watchmaker procure new factory parts (presuming yours have already trashed themselves), then process them in a way to extend their service life. Heat or cryo treatments could be explored as well, just as we do with tools and engine/trans parts. In my view, in a world where Rolex no longer knows how to make long-term reliable movements, we have to get creative.
I totally get that. What seems pointless to me is bothering to do that, but still having to replace the whole mainspring barrel at service. If Whole movement could then go 30 years in between, I’d be all about it.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote