View Single Post
Old 22 March 2020, 12:19 AM   #3158
statsman
"TRF" Member

Thoughts-

1. These extreme measures of social distancing will last weeks, not months. At the rate of growth in cases, in six weeks the curve will either have flattened or we will all have been exposed.

2. The delay in testing in the US really cloaked the situation in NYC (and to a lesser extent- Seattle and SF). A “one policy for all” really doesn’t make sense for the US. Thought- a shortage of masks means that, in the US, only medical personnel and patients get the masks. Our Asian friends say that, without masks, we are really losing effectiveness. Would it make sense to make sure mask production was diverted to NYC, Seattle and SF so that all citizens there can have them? And a similar approach to other resources?

3. Step 1 for getting out of a hole is “stop digging”. We (the world) needs a very frank conversation about nations’ stats, before reopening travel. For example- I don’t believe Russia’s stats that show no cases contracted in Russia. I suspect they (at least major cities) are in a situation like NYC two weeks ago- they have no idea how many cases they have. The WHO is dependent upon local government and is no help. Similarly, as great as the news out of China and Iran is that their case numbers are dropping, I would like to see some skeptical scrutiny of the data (I have no problem trusting S. Korea numbers).