View Single Post
Old 21 August 2014, 09:14 PM   #48
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
I have adopted the same idea. Originally, I had planned on a dress watch and a daily watch only.
I got a Calatrava 5296 in white gold. Sweep second hand and a date, it dresses up just fine, while crossing over to casual jeans and polo. For more casual, a matte chestnut brown alligator strap, and for suits a glossy black alligator strap.
While saving for my daily, I was sidetracked by what I think makes a perfect "beater" in a 12-year old Rolex Explorer II. It will be great for travel with its second time zone, and it already has a few love bites.
But my daily arrived a week ago, a stainless steel black dial Daytona. If I don't cross time zones I think it will be with me on trips.
I can see being sidetracked by watch #4, but I love the idea of playing hierarchy: is this #4 better than #'s 1 to 3 at what they do? and then flip the "loser." Also, there's a decent chance I'll trade the Daytona plus cash for an Aquanaut, but that's hard to imagine now since I'm in the "honeymoon" stage with the Daytona.
Bottom line, my days of 10-plus watches are over.
Famous last words?
Great ! I think the Explorer II will be great for your Beater/Vacation watch but is also important (at least for me) to love your beater. My Hulk is 1 year old and I still find myself admiring the green dial. I like the fact also that while is a beater and I take it for Vacation and hey is still a Rolex ! And even better I can see other Subs while on Vacation but so far I haven't bump with other green one.
A Calatrava is a beautiful classic watch, so if it woks for you then is a winner; in my wearing experience strictly dress watches have little wrist time when I had them. I had a ALS Saxonia thin and a FPJourne Chronometre Bleu, both beautiful but they didn't stick. If it is dressy I need some complication going on to keep it interesting. I love the idea of the Aquanaut, I am contemplating the idea as well. The Daytona is a Staple on the Rolex line up and the one that retains the value the best, so no matter what (keep it or not) you will be fine. That's the beauty of Patek and Rolex they allow you to do more.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote