View Single Post
Old 5 August 2020, 04:37 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
While we suffer through this quarantine and some are doing some serious assessment of their life and goals I found this article to be interesting.

It talks of the addiction to social media. The addiction to PRAISE which is one of the aspects of "success" chasing. And it talks of the human need for praise over happiness.

There are often "happiness" scores given to different cultures and countries from surveys taken, and the US is generally a ways down the line in the scoring. I've often said that part of that reason is the US propaganda machine that states you can achieve whatever you set out to achieve when in reality LUCK plays a very direct role in who gets to achieve the most money (usually the measuring stick).

Some well say, "well you make your own luck" and to some extent that is true. But the fact of the matter is that some people get to the "top" for a variety of reasons. Connections, money, timing, and just plain old luck play a part as well.

In other countries where the "sky is the limit" is not reasonably achievable, people are very often higher rated on the "happiness index". (Costa Rica is often rated the highest) People are happier and just more satisfied.

When chasing money and keeping up with the Joneses is the mindset, people can just never seem to be satisfied. Perhaps that's why consumerism in the US is the national pastime, in an effort to be happy.

But, buying stuff never really seems to pan out as a way to make a person happy. (Obviously not counting Rolexes, of course)

Anyways, an interesting article.....

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...-happy/614731/
the millennial generation and younger (for the most part) are less consumerism based and more happiness based. they are also finding less traditional ways to make money like being youtube personalities and such.

the system is designed for people to have a mortgage, car payment and 2.2 kids.

time will tell but success and money are two separate things. i know a lot of people with money that are complete f ups and others with less money that are successful.

i work and save so i can support my family and hope to retire younger than most. you can never know where life takes you but that is the goal for now.

ive had a lot of luck in my life but most of it has not been monetary. i believe the reason why is i dont need monetary luck. i work hard and get paid to do so.

the best quote you can find is from the movie blow - "money isnt real george, you just think it is"

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote