View Single Post
Old 21 July 2019, 02:23 AM   #1
Stu3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Accutron Astro/GMT
GMT Master Help Needed - Loses 1 Minute/Day

I have a 1987 GMT Master. Serviced in 2016. Minute hand loses 1 minute/day. Can you speed up the minute hand? Second hand is fine.
Hi guys: Hope you can help me.

I have a 1987 GMT Master (great shape) with a service history with AD service centers. Last service was 2016 and then I stopped wearing it as much because I bought a new Bulova Lobster (great watch BTW) and bought a few vintage Accutron 214s (Astronauts etc). I decided to bring my GMT back into the rotation and it will not keep time. I have taken it back to my Rolex AD here in Stuttgart Germany two times (he did the 2016) service and every time I pick it up they say it is running fine. It is losing approx 1 minute per day (fully wound and wearing it - or sitting my my bedside table overnight). BUT, it is the minute hand that is losing time. The second hand is fine (hope you understand what I am saying). I hacked the watch at exactly 1800CET using the timedotgov website on Monday and made sure the minute hand was exactly at the 1200 position (I advanced the minute hand forward to the top to take up any slack) and the second had was also at 1200 when I pushed the stem in to start my test. 24 hours later (exactly), the minute hand was at 59 minutes and the second hand was at exactly 1200.

I called Rolex HQ NY and described this and they said it was possible to adjust the watch so the minute had ran faster. I took the watch to my AD today today and he said it was not possible to adjust the watch so the minute had ran faster. What is the correct answer? Can it be done?

He put it on the "machine" today and said the machine said the watch is keeping time +- 2 seconds per day.

This watch was my graduation present and ran fine up until the 2016 service and I only had it serviced then because it only lasted 36 hours when fully wound (but it kept perfect time). Should I give up on the AD? Trade it for a new GMT?

Hoping you guys/gals might have some tips or ideas. TIA
Stu3 is offline   Reply With Quote