View Single Post
Old 12 March 2020, 11:44 PM   #1688
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I have a question for those more knowledgeable (which is most of you [emoji23])

How do we determine the difference between a cold and Coronavirus assuming it’s mild [emoji848]

Lots of seasonal things around at the moment, seems a grey area.

I guess you can assess your likely risk level but even coming in to contact with one person could be enough?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the best differentiators is runny nose and coughing up phlegm. This indicates a common cold, and nasal inflammation is very uncommon as an isolated symptom of COVID-19. On the contrary, COVID-19 will present with fever, malaise (feeling like crap), dry cough. Shortness of breath follows. Severity depends on age and luck of the draw.

Something that isn't making the rounds. "Mild" COVID-19 just means you don't need oxygen support. But it still encompasses a broad range of symptoms ranging from barely anything to fever, cough, weakness, difficulty breathing and could keep you bed-bound for days.

Another thing not making the rounds as much. There is permanent lung damage in survivors that is likely proportional to the severity of symptoms experienced during the acute phase. Permanent scarring and distortion of the architecture of the lung tissue and small airways. This has the potential to leave a lot of people somewhat disabled across the world even when they survive.