View Single Post
Old 16 March 2020, 10:12 PM   #2191
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Agreed. Comparisons of COVID-19 disease to the seasonal flu (yes, Swine Flu too) are essentially irrelevant.

This virus has a higher R0 meaning it is more contagious.

This virus has a higher mortality rate.

So, it spreads more easily and kills more people who contract it.

The approx 25% who require hospitalization need more than some fluid replenishment and a pat on the back...they need heavy respiratory intervention that takes lots of skilled doctors and specialized equipment...that doesn't grow on trees, so there just isn't enough to go around if society lets this get out of hand.

Combine that with asymptomatic spreading and it's real handful to deal with.

Here is a nicely done video detailing the effort put into treating these cases when they present to the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0A0LyMru3I&t=664s

That's pretty much it at this point. The governments of most countries are finally aligning with the threat and unfortunately it seems that most will have to force the discipline of social distancing as people seemingly will NOT do it on their own for whatever reason.
Agree with your view Fleetlord. From his appearances over the weekend, Dr. Fauci seems to agree as well and seems to be laying the groundwork for a nationwide mandated distancing in the US. And businesses and states are well on their way as we speak.

In my view, panic about about the virus is counter productive. But by the same token, so is panic about the effect of containment/mitigation measures on the economy. Both forms of panic are driven by fear.

In any event, a quick survey of the steps being taken by business and state and local governments in the US indicates that more stringent containment/mitigation measures are being implemented and more will come. Personally, I agree that these measures are necessary and prudent. But agree or disagree as to their necessity, these measures are coming.

Panic about he virus or the measures to contain and mitigate it will not accomplish anything. As Gunny said in Heartbreak Ridge "You improvise. You overcome. You adapt."