View Single Post
Old 16 March 2020, 11:18 PM   #2201
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
In past disaster situations, motivating large populations to take the recommended actions has been met with low levels of compliance. It seems very dire messaging improves compliance.

Sad fact - but I hope the current hyper-efforts in messaging about coronavirus can keep any increases to as low a number as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The pictures of long lines at bars and clubs in Seattle and other vector areas this weekend illustrate your point. People either do not listen, or they are convinced they will be ok and ignore the problem of passing it on to those in a risk group. So now the bars and clubs are being closed or limited.

I ignored evacuation orders for hurricanes when younger. On one occasion, my spouse and I rode out a mother of a storm in South Florida. Was not mature enough to understand the resources and risk to first responders this could entail.

Right now we have several cruise ships that got in at the last minute that are under quarantine. Tax payers will pick up the tab for dealing with this. And first responders will bear the risk of aiding passengers.

There are costs for people ignoring risks. Unfortunately, sometimes others wind up paying the bill and the risk when things go south.

So yes, I agree, sometimes you need loud messaging to get people to pay attention. It's just human nature.