View Single Post
Old 30 January 2023, 03:06 PM   #2954
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SUB LV-C/Pepsi C
Prices slump by up to 50% for discontinued Rolex watches (Watchpro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
Yeah going to have a conversation and see where it goes. What are your thoughts on the piece? I think it looks to be in really good shape (normal wear and no major dings or dents). No papers concern me a bit (even tho I know it’s not a huge deal and this dealer is well regarded in MODA). Even if 38 can’t close it I think it’s reasonable to come down some being that I’ll eventually have to pay for papers and probably send it in for a polish since it is used.

It’s a tough call for me as a big part of me wants to wait to see if prices continue to go down and get this closer to retail but at the same time I don’t want to be kicking myself if this goes back up.

Such is the predicament for anyone looking to buy or sell anything of value in this market. It’s very difficult to know what could happen in the future. Even some of the smartest economists expected us to be worse off than we are at this point. Indicators and prices lag a bit. This isn’t much different than any hard assets like Gold. In fact since Gold has risen back up a bit so have modern Rolex prices these last few weeks.

Is it a piece you’re looking to hold and enjoy for a lifetime or are you looking to hold it for a year and let it go in pursuit of something else? If it’s the former I’d say it really doesn’t matter as prices will go up over longer term time frames. If it’s the latter, you’re likely not going to perfectly buy the bottom no matter how much you want to and it will go up/down with the rest of the watch market anyways.

So, yeah given it’s no papers and great condition, and a piece you seem to really desire, it seems like a decent piece/opportunity to try to get a maximum good deal on a highly coveted piece. Obviously, you can get archive papers as mentioned.

Good luck in negotiations, bud!