View Single Post
Old 28 March 2023, 09:52 AM   #3797
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
Most Royal oaks aren’t rare despite APs “limited” production numbers. It is not hard to source one and there are thousands available online. What is rare is getting one at retail.

Look at the hulk — discontinued for how long now and there is no shortage of them avail (some brand new).
hulks were made in much bigger quantities than a green daytona and much more easily attainable, even at crazy grey premiums they were still relatively affordable. the limited run of the green daytona doesn't have as much to do with it as the difficulty in getting one, people here have said even spending 100k at an AD didn't get you anywhere close to one. probably easier to compare it to a 15202, but anyway i wasn't trying to argue that. my point was that he implied according to his math of 10-20k of them being made in 7 years that they're mass produced, while AP made 280k watches in that time frame and are literally not mass produced. rarity is a different discussion, and i know ROs aren't rare besides the openworked/tourbillon/etc models

i just wanted to say that mass produced by definition means it's not hand made, and yes rolexes aren't hand made, but when most people say it i feel like they don't mean literally but rather imply that mass produced means it's made in huge quantities and commonly found/obtained