View Single Post
Old 25 February 2013, 05:33 PM   #667
bosjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
both great watches but to really appreciate what seiko can do, you have to handle and wear their $500 - $900 range watches. when comparing say, a $600 - $800 Sumo to a last gen Sub or even an omega smp or breitling superocean, you really become curious on how good the GS line may actually be to command a such a higher premium. the problem then becomes, are they worth the extra $5k or so for the SD calibre and GS label when a sumo may be nearly as good as a GS?
Having both a sumo and a gs spring drive I can tell you there is a very big difference between them and the sumo is a great watch which means the gs is super great or something like that.

Sumo-1 by bosjohn, on Flickr

grand-seiko-spring-drive by bosjohn, on Flickr
The only real weakness of the sumo is the bracelet seems a tad narrow and is not as high quality by a country mile as the bracelet on the gs. The fit and finish while excellent on the sumo doesn't approach the GS but it can hold it own in most diver circles quite nicely thanks. The most obvious difference though is the movement. it is a fine movement but not the spring drive and its not quite as accurate. However after having said all that I love the comfortable feel of wearing the sumo is about as good as the GS.
If I were a serious diver but choose not to go the dive computer route the sumo give a huge bang for the buck at about six hundred. compared to the rolex the rolex diver looks and feels better and is more accurate and with great fit and finish but it also costs almost fifteen to twenty times as much.
Sumo is a terrific bargin in dive watches,