View Single Post
Old 19 December 2019, 12:46 PM   #1
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
RSC did an unauthorized switch of Bezel Inserts

Man, RSC servicing just keeps paying dividends...some of you may remember the problems I went through with my 14060 and RSC. If not, you can read it here:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=637700

So to add to that thread, this 14060 had to go BACK to RSC AGAIN because the watch would sometimes stop when screwing the crown down. Consistently enough for me to be able to do it after a few attempts.

Once again, it disappeared into the RSC black hole for some time and it came back not too long ago with, as per usual, absolutely no information on what was done and/or replaced. When I got it back, I was able to get it to do the first time I tried but then I couldn't get it to do it again after that so I'm going to call that a fluke but I'm still not 100% that they fixed the problem.

Today, I was looking at some older photos of the watch and I realized something. RSC swapped out my perfectly good bezel insert with a service insert! This swap was completely unauthorized and, as a matter of fact, when they did the estimate, they suggested new insert and I SPECIFICALLY said NO. It appears that they did it on the first trip to RSC and I didn't notice probably because I specifically told them not to replace it (and I figured they wouldn't do that w/o charging me) and I was busy trying to deal with their incompetent servicing (not to mention that it was in RSC's possession for a good chunk of the year).

So what's the big deal you ask? The older insert was a era correct "flat four" (this was a one owner, never service 14060 when I purchased it). I get that it's not a 16610LV level "F4" bezel but that's not the point. The older insert was in perfect shape and it was era correct insert. Why would anyone change that?

For those with any inside knowledge (SearChart maybe?), what are the chances that RSC will be able to make this right and either recovering my insert or finding a suitable replacement?

I'm still trying to figure out why this would happen but I have my suspicions. Note that the RSC service manager was not able to find any notes on this being done (officially) but they were able to look up the infil and exfil photos and saw the insert was indeed swapped.