View Single Post
Old 10 June 2018, 12:10 PM   #5
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usanghai View Post
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first adult watch (just turned 25) -- I settled on an 1803 Day-Date with a Buckley dial, that I found listed from an Italian seller (I am based in the US) on Chrono24. The seller is Steel Watches (steelwatches dot it)

I met the sellers asking price of EUR 5,000 ~ $6,000. The seller cancelled the transaction, and came back with the following:

---
Hello US thank you for your order,

this watch is part of my private collection and I can't invoice it as Steel Watches (I will invoice under my name, I have vat also as watch reseller). In this case you will have to do a direct payment via wire transfer (no TCO). [I imagine this is Trusted Checkout Offer]

Otherwise my business parter will be in NY starting from June 20th and he can delivery the watch directly in your hand (if you like it you can pay directly him by cash or you can do a wire transfer).

I stay at your disposal for any furhter question you might have and thank you for having choosen SteelWatches

Best Regards
Alfredo Vergani
President&Chairman

---

I have learnt to be cynical / skeptical the hard way, but I wanted to see what you all made of the note above? I am skeptical for the following reasons:

-- Not having Chrono24's trusted checkout offer mechanism
-- Not having the purchase protection of Chase Sapphire Resserve
-- I do not understand the "private collection" comment - is that really something I have to deal with, or shouldnt the seller be responsible for bearing the costs / logistical trouble associated with this?

That being said, I do really really like this watch (even relative to close comparables), which is why I am wondering if it is worth the risk.

My current plan is to agree to buying the watch in person at the Rolex store or at an Authorized Dealer in New York and having them verify it on the spot...(if they would even do such a thing)

Would appreciate any thoughts / advice / suggestions.

Thank you!
US
There are So Many Trusted Sellers right here on TRF, why would you try to make a Questionable Purchase of a watch that is Thousands Of Miles Away?

Be Patient, Do Your Research (Includuing Posting Photos Here), Take Your Time and you will make out just fine.

Good Luck.
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote