View Single Post
Old 6 October 2009, 05:01 AM   #29
mcubed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
I agree completely !
Although a nice piece of engineering, its got some pretty serious Achilles Heals...

But the assessment sounds correct. The lug or "pin holder" probably was over-stressed when it was welded to the clasp housing and "presto-junko", thus losing integrity. "Spot welds" give me a freakin break !

This shuld be a "recall" of the assy by ROLEX and a refit for a newer fix'd design IMO. I believe the assy shuld be completely "machined"; meaning pin and clasp housing all one unit; call ROLEX and they'll tellya, "yeah, Randy's right, it should be machined as a single assy" !
Can you imagine, the clasp housing costing half as much as the entire bracelet, if not more ! SHEEZE
You know, I tend to agree. I very rarely find anything Rolex does disappointing; I never had a problem with the non SEL, hollow link bracelet on my ND sub, and never thought it was too cheap for the watch. However, IF Rolex insists on using this new complicated clasp design, I do think spot welds are inappropriate for a watch of this cost, and I would expect these pin assemblies to be cast or machined as part of the clasp. While some criticized the old bracelet for "feeling" cheap, it did not have reliability problems. In contrast, this type of failure, to me, really does feel cheap, especially since this is not the first time I have heard of this happening. Sorry Rolex, that's two demerits....
mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote