View Single Post
Old 10 May 2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris nyc View Post
If you are truly buying a "grey market" piece then you're giving up the 2 year manufacturers warranty, as the booklet will not be stamped by an AD. That diminishes the watches value even more IMHO. I also look for a pre-owned that was originally purchased at least at an AD. Or, do some research and get it through a source with good AD connections and deeper discounts. There are plenty of them.

That being said, i've never been to an AD who didn't offer at least 10% off. Average is 15....some will do 20%.
This is true. The grey market dealers I purchase from offer their own warranty. I have been collecting watches long enough to know that this is not ideal, but I think the larger issue is that Panerai resale value is pretty poor. The pieces I purchase aren't worth the loss on resale which is why I was alright with using a grey dealer (I don't plan on selling). Conversely, I have never bought a Rolex from a grey dealer for all the reasons you mentioned.

The problem I find when purchasing pre-owned Panerai is that you really have to find a piece in good condition. I like my straps to be as new as possible and OEM, which is why I prefer to buy BNIB. Many Panerai scratch easy due to their polished finish which is also a disincentive. If I were to grab a more expensive Panerai that would hold its value better, I probably would purchase from an AD.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote