View Single Post
Old 4 November 2019, 12:51 PM   #34
Karl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
not keen to hear other people's thoughts despite providing you with some evidence of reason?

You have at the minimum:
- repainted dial (not even a "swiss" at the bottom)
- question crown (shape doesn't look right)
- case etchings that don't look consistent with the watch of that era or a watch that has been on a bracelet for 50+ years
Not enough red flags to at least get it looked at by an expert in person?
First off my dad is still alive. He bought the ROLEX from a reputable certified ROLEX dealer with all paperwork. Unfortunately the box and paperwork is in storage somewhere. He sent it to ROLEX for major repairs in the early 60s. He gave it to me 20 years ago. The only other thing that was done to it was a simple service (cleaning) at a certified Rolex dealer in Denver. So we know exactly where it has been. So if there are fake parts they came from ROLEX. I have no clue thats why I thought i would get advice.

Everyone here have given great input and things to think about. Because of the damage in the past I know there are service parts and a few things not consistent. I did have an experienced vintage watch dealer look at it four years ago. He mainly deals with vintage ROLEX watches. He inspected it inside and out. On my way out of his shop he offered me a fair amount of money for the watch. Enough to where I stopped because i thought I didnt hear him clearly. Im not selling the watch. Its way too sentimental. I dont care if its worth $50 or 50k. I just want to know what I have.

Now with all the mostly great advice I can take it for a second opinion and ask specific questions.

Thanks all for the input.
Karl. is offline   Reply With Quote