View Single Post
Old 10 October 2017, 11:49 AM   #46
JustBlueFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Some here would say that's really good accuracy because its 99.99537% accurate. That sounds good.

But it only sounds good because we have been conditioned based on our environment to have an opinion about how numbers sound. 99% on a school exam is quite good. A 99% success rate for attempting most things is pretty good. The majority of people don't often see numbers higher than 99% in our every day life.

So when we see 99.99537% we think it must be really good. But what about 99.95%? That sounds pretty good, too, right? However, that would be 43 seconds off per day, which is not so good for a watch.

So, defining things in terms of percentages is only useful if we put it in the context of that item/activity/result. For example, if a batter hits 40% of balls pitched to him that's really good. 40% is good for batting, while 99% for watches (14 minutes off per day) is really bad.

My automatic Seiko that I bought for $100 runs with 99.99% accuracy, about 9 second off per day. So I certainly wouldn't be impressed if a Rolex runs with 99.99% accuracy. Or even 99.99537% accuracy. I'd like my BNIB Rolex operating with at least 99.997685% accuracy---that's two seconds per day.

So, OP, what is the accuracy of your replacement watch?

Very well said bravo.

My new watch so far is gaining something on the order of +1 every 2-3 days. It’s so accurate I can’t really tell. I’ll need to track it for weeks and find an average.

The AD is Bigham Jewelers in Naples FL btw. They don’t do online sales of new watches or over the phone/ship with first time customers which is why I didn’t see any real reason to point it out. But since you asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote