View Single Post
Old 1 May 2020, 06:11 AM   #1
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
Review: Rolex Explorer II - 16570 - Black Dial

Hi all,

I’ve been a lurker on here for a while, I couldn’t just lurk anymore - I feel I have to take part on such a great forum. I’ve read so much on here, I thought it was only fair to contribute.

Brand: Rolex
Model: Explorer II - 16570 - Black Dial
Year: 2000
Caliber: 3185

So, to start this off - all I can say is this watch has been my fascination since I first got into watches with a passion. I acquired this only 4 months ago and for the 4 months it’s lived on my wrist day and night. This has lead to my Omega Seamaster 2254.50 gathering dust.

I am an outdoors person, so what better companion to have beating away (frequency rate of 28,800 beats per hour) on your wrist and flourishing on full moving mechanical charge, other than an expedition qualified, tool tested, modern vintage...Explorer II...

First of the super-luminova (didn’t want tritium/patina)
Lug holes (classic)
Solid end links (no rattles)
No rehaut markings (classic)
P serial

As you can see, I am quite passionate about this watch - it’s not for investment, keeping in a safe or anything of a kind - this watch will live the life it was made for.. it goes hiking/sea swimming//desk diving and globe trotting.

The Explorer II also doesn’t look like a typical Rolex either, not to the untrained eyes anyway.. it goes with any attire and just flies under the radar - the black dial was a must have for me, personally - I love the understated dial and I do love a black dial anyway, I didn’t even consider the polar - which most probably think is strange.

The 16570 wears beautifully on the wrist, the fixed bezel gives the feel of a 38-39mm. The fixed, domed bezel also let’s the rucksack shoulder straps pass over the watch without getting stuck on the bezel (always an issue for me with a bulky dive bezel). The tapered, lightweight bracelet almost let’s you forget you have anything on the wrist (total watch weight 126 grams) and to finish on design, the fairly slim oyster case allows the watch to fit under most sleeves, which is great for protection - only exposing the watch for timing checks.

Having a brushed finish throughout the case and bracelet really does help maintain a tool feel with the watch looking consistent even when scratched. There is nothing fancy or show boating about this model, it’s utilitarian down to the core, you cannot buy this watch to show off the brand, as it will 99.9% go unnoticed.

They have increased in price over the last few years, but to be still priced so far under the GMT Master for the sake of a rotating bezel...I thank the markets for giving me a bargain for the better piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F5FB6219-85F7-46E7-9079-8AF1E4CD90E5.jpeg (100.8 KB, 1112 views)
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote