View Single Post
Old 4 February 2018, 10:00 AM   #1
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
1680 Red Submariner Back From RSC...9 Months Later.

Well, I finally got my 1969/1970 Red Submariner back from the New York RSC after waiting 9 long months.

To say that I am pleased with the results of the servicing would be a gross understatement. Below, is a link of the watch before I sent it in for servicing.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=528897

After I posted that link I was going to return the watch to the seller but decided to pursue the RSC route in hopes that I would be able to acquire a new, super rare, red service dial.

I called over to the New York RSC and was told that if I sent the watch in that it would be replaced with a white service dial. I called a few more times and talked to a supervisor who confirmed that they do not have any red service dials.

I had become attached to the watch for some reason and decided that I wanted to "save" it.

I reached out to Michael Young for a quote to restore the dial and was getting ready to ship it to him when I came across this thread.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=286496

I love the look of the 1680 red subs and after seeing all of the beautiful vintage watches with new service dials with functioning lume, I knew that I had to keep trying.

I emailed and called Rolex Geneva to see if they could offer some assistance. Rolex Geneva replied after a few days and said that they would forward my request to the New York RSC. I noticed there was a case reference number, which was also CC'd to RSC New York.

Within 2 days one of the supervisors at RSC New York contacted me and made arrangements for me to send my watch in and explained that once the watch was dis-assembled, the dial would be sent to Geneva for authentication. Once the dial was authenticated, Rolex Geneva sent a "red" submariner service dial back to New York for service and re-assembly.

So, here we are... 9 longs months later. I can tell you that I am VERY happy and pleased with the results.

The first thing I noticed is that the service bezel insert is fatter than the older service insert that was on the watch when I sent it in.

I will upload the pics now via TapaTalk.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote