View Single Post
Old 29 February 2020, 06:10 AM   #475
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
This has been circulating for quite a while in China but it was labeled as fake news or suppressed. When the Japanese article released via Reuters (mainstream and highly reputable), that article disappeared overnight. Also, this came out from Japan: Two Japanese dogs tested positive for coronavirus. Can domestic animals carry a coronavirus? I have no idea. But that’s kind of scary nonetheless. If true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
yes, according to my vet. I don't know to what extent the severity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
The corona virus comes from bats, apparently.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...-humans-2020-1

Experts think bats are the source of the Wuhan coronavirus. At least 4 pandemics have originated in these animals.

The coronavirus spreading in China and the SARS outbreak of 2003 have two things in common: Both are from the coronavirus family and both were likely passed from animals to humans in a wet market.

Coronaviruses are zoonotic diseases, meaning they spread to people from animals. Because wet markets put people and live and dead animals — dogs, chickens, pigs, civets, and more — in close contact, it can be easy for a virus to make an interspecies jump.

"Poorly regulated live-animal markets mixed with illegal wildlife trade offer a unique opportunity for viruses to spill over from wildlife hosts into the human population," the Wildlife Conservation Society said in a statement.

In the case of SARS and this coronavirus outbreak, bats were the original hosts. They then infected other animals via their poop or saliva, and the unwitting intermediaries transmitted the virus to humans.

"Bats and birds are considered reservoir species for viruses with pandemic potential," Bart Haagmans, a virologist at the Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, Netherlands, told Business Insider.

(...)
I own veterinary hospitals and my wife is a veterinary surgeon. Dogs and cats can get the Coronavirus. Wild and domestic. Mostly while young. To find it in a dog or cat is not uncommon and NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. Older dogs and cats have antibodies to deal with it. Not a big deal. It does not transfer to humans from dogs or cats. The whole bat story to me is suspect. I’m far more concerned about people’s reaction to the virus than the virus itself.