View Single Post
Old 3 March 2020, 07:11 AM   #718
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
yes, Iran is reporting 4.4% mortality rate. Even based on 2% at 325m~ population the US that equates to about 6.5 million deaths. The death rate of the flu is only 0.1% vs the data we have on the coronavirus. What is so scary about this coronavirus how contagious it is. Flu is most contagious during the first 3-4 days. In fact my mother just had the flu and even though she lives with me and my son, neither of us got it just from my mother being careful. Keep in mind we don't have a vaccine against Coronavirus vs the flu as well so that plays a big factor.

I'm not worried as much for myself as I've got an immune system akin to a steam roller but I definitely fear for my parents and other friends and relatives.
Now..this dude with the WHO says it's less contagious than flu:

Dr. Mike Ryan, the WHO's chief of emergencies, pointed out that even regions that have taken less aggressive measures than the extraordinary lockdowns implemented by China have managed to keep the virus in check. Ryan said that because COVID-19 is not as easily transmitted as the flu, “it offers us a glimmer ... that this virus can be suppressed and contained.”

Huh? Less contagious. More contagious...than flu. Who knows?? i don't understand how it's less contagious. It affects the upper and lower respiratory system...the upper component being the snotty sneezing carrier for the virus to easily escape...just like a cold does. Nasty stuff.

Now the scientists are disagreeing over how much asymptomatic carriers there are. Some say it's low...others say it's a lot and they are slipping through screenings because they aren't sick, but contagious...that's why we are seeing cases pop up all over world.

Me thinks we just don't know much about this virus except it exists, gets people sick to varying degrees and is transmitted from human to human...oh and it's spreading.