View Single Post
Old 3 March 2020, 08:54 AM   #738
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
There’s a big difference between how any given individual might view the risk posed by the virus and how a government must react to it.

I’m in front line healthcare and am probably at higher risk than most of contracting it if it spreads significantly. I’m also (in isolation) not bothered about the prospect. I’m young and healthy and highly unlikely to be severely affected should I contract it.

However the law of large numbers means that any government which actually values its citizens absolutely has to take it very seriously, which means making contingency plans for implementing very disruptive action to try to contain the virus - even if the worst-case-scenario projections are unlikely. I do not accept that the currently quoted mortality figures are definitely accurate (I expect the number to drop as time goes by, though I accept I could be wrong) however if only 10% of Brits were to become infected and even if the currently mortality figure is a 10-fold over-estimate, that would mean 140 000 deaths. Even if the government doesn’t give a toss about the plebs, voters might not forget in a hurry the people at the top who ignored those kinds of numbers.
Appreciate the comment and seriously, take care out there. The NHS is a cornerstone of modern Britain and anyone working on the front line are heros/heroines.

Information and disinformation is so much more easily accessible now vs just a few years ago it makes distilling the truth so much harder. Hopefully this all blows over but doesn't hurt to be skeptical and take precautions.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk